Vice President at Technology Transfer at Weizmann Institute of Science
Prof. Sheves earned a B.Sc. in chemistry in 1969 at Bar-Ilan University (Ramat Gan, Israel) and M.Sc. (1973) and Ph.D. (1978) degrees from the Weizmann Institute of Science. His carried out a postdoctoral work with Columbia University’s Prof. Nakanishi, and in 1981, Prof. Sheves returned to Israel and the Weizmann Institute’s department of organic chemistry, where he was appointed associate professor in 1987, and full professor in 1994. In 1992, he served as a visiting professor at the University of Illinois (Champaign/Urbana), where he worked at the Beckman Institute and in the department of biophysics. From 1994 to 2004, Prof. Sheves headed the Weizmann Institute’s Chemical Research Support, from 2004 to 2006, he served as dean of the faculty of chemistry, and in December 2006, he was appointed Vice President for Technology Transfer of Weizmann Institute. He published more than 220 papers and he is the recipient of numerous awards. At the Weizmann Institute, Prof. Sheves is the incumbent of the Ephraim Katzir-Rao Makineni Professorial Chair in Chemistry.
The Weizmann Institute of Science is one of the world’s leading multidisciplinary basic research institutions in the natural and exact sciences. It is located in Rehovot, Israel, just south of Tel Aviv. It was initially established as the Daniel Sieff Institute in 1934, by Israel and Rebecca Sieff of London in memory of their son Daniel. In 1949, it was renamed for Dr. Chaim Weizmann, the first President of the State of Israel and Founder of the Institute. The Weizmann Institute has a long history of investigation and discovery rooted in a mission of advancing science for the benefit of humanity. In parallel, it educates a substantial proportion of Israel’s scientific leadership and advances science literacy in schools and among the public. Industry and basic science come together to commercialize insights and discoveries from Weizmann Institute labs to advance technology and human health, through the Institute’s technology transfer arm.